Vision of the Authority
The Authority realizes that any data processing operation involves risks for privacy protection and it therefore emphasizes the importance of awareness-raising, both for data subjects and controllers, as wells as of safeguards, particularly regarding information security. Furthermore, the Authority will take into consideration that the use of new technologies when data are processed is a very important factor to improve individuals' well-being and welfare in our present-day society.
The Authority's aim is to enable individuals to trust these technologies, clarifying that we all have the responsibility to be aware of what we do with our own and others' personal data. Therefore it contributes to awareness raising about sensible and safe behaviour when personal data are disclosed and processed. The Authority wants to underline the importance of safeguarding and respecting data subject rights when their personal data are processed, and wants to use its authority to encourage public and private controllers to take all the necessary measures based on a thorough risk analysis, with the final objective of safeguarding the respect of individuals' private and family life.
The Authority intends to act as a recognized leader at national and international level and leave a mark on the reflections about and development of relevant standards for information security and privacy. Moreover, it wants to supervise and promote the observance of these standards with adequate control mechanisms.
In order to undertake appropriate actions in a context of increasing transborder personal data processing operations, as a national reference centre the Authority will cooperate intensively at national and particularly European level for the development of activities to protect personal data, ensuring that the impact of internationalisation on national data processing operations is taken into account.
- The Authority
- The secretariat
- Sector Committees
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Authorityers
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles