Structure of the DPA
- approves the annual accounts and decides on the annual budget, the annual report, the strategic plan and the management plan, including the annual priorities of the Data Protection Authority;
- determines the evaluation indicators concerning the implementation of the annual report, the strategic plan and the management plan;
- decides on the organisation and composition of the Data Protection Authority, including the internal mobility of the staff between the bodies;
- decides on the identity document model (inspections)
Chairman: David Stevens
- manages questions relating to human resources, the budget and the IT of the DPA;
- manages any legal matter relating to the management and operation of the DPA;
- manages internal and external communication.
- monitors the social, economic and technological developments that have an impact on the protection of personal data;
- gives advice as part of the consultation by the controller responsible for the processing conducted by the DPA;
- approves codes of conduct;
- promotes the introduction of certification mechanisms and approve certification criteria;
- draws up and publish the criteria for the accreditation of a body for the supervision of codes of conduct on the basis of Article 41 of Regulation 2016/679 and of a certification body on the basis of Article 43 of Regulation 2016/679;
- ensures the accreditation of a body for the supervision of codes of conduct on the basis of Article 41 of Regulation 2016/679;
- approves the standard contractual clauses and the binding corporate rules.
Director: David Stevens
The litigation is the administrative disputes body of the Data Protection Authority.
In performing its duties, the dispute chamber shall be assisted by a secretariat, which will also ensure the Registry’s duties.
Chairman: Hielke Hijmans
The knowledge centre shall issue, either on its own initiatieve or upon request:
- opinions concerning any matter relating to the processing of personal data;
- recommendations relating to social, economical and technological developments that can impact on the processing of personal data.
Director: Alexandra Jaspar
- receives the complaints and submissions sent to the DPA;
- can initiate a mediation procedure;
- promotes data protection among the public, with a specific focus on minors;
- promotes awareness among controllers and processors with regard to their obligations;
- provides the data subject with information regarding the exercising of their rights.
Director: Charlotte Dereppe
The inspection service is the investigating body of the Data Protection Authority.
The inspection service shall be assisted by a secretariat in the performance of its duties.
Inspector-general: Peter Van den Eynde
- The Authority
- European Data Protection Board (EDPB)
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Authorityers
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles