The Authority in a nutshell
The Authority consists of sixteen members:
- a president,
- a vice president,
- six permanent members,
- eight substitute members.
The president and vice president are the only fulltime members. The mandate of president is reserved to a magistrate.
If the president's mother tongue is Dutch, then the vice president must be a French native speaker and vice versa. Among the Authority's members there must be at least the following four categories: a legal expert, an IT expert and two individuals with experience in personal data management in the public and private sector respectively.
All sixteen commissioners are appointed for a renewable six-year mandate. They are all experts in privacy protection and personal data management.
The Authority's mission is to ensure that privacy is respected when personal data are processed. It is a federal body, although there has been a Flemish Supervisory l’Autorité de protection des données for Electronic Administrative Data Flows since December 2009. The Flemish l’Autorité de protection des données has similar powers, but only at Flemish level.
Sector committees have been established within the Authority in order to supervise a specific sector.
The Authority is supported by a secretariat consisting of approximately fifty employees.
- The Authority
- The secretariat
- Sector Committees
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Authorityers
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles