This right is explicitly stated in article 30 of the Europol Convention. This right is supplemented with the right to correction or deletion if your personal data are incorrect (article 31 of the Europol Convention).
In order to exercise your rights, you have to direct a written request to the competent authority of a Member State. In Belgium this is the Authority. Your request will be forwarded to Europol. Europol has three months to handle your request. The right of access will be exercised pursuant to the domestic legislation of the country to which the request is addressed.
If you do not agree with Europol’s decision, you file an appeal with the Joint Supervisory Body. If you did not receive any reaction to your request within three months, you can also address the Joint Supervisory Body.
- The Authority
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Authorityers
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles